- Our campus features native gardens with low-maintenance plants.
- All storm water is collected in our 3.5-acre lake and reused for irrigation, generating $70,000 in annual savings.
- Computer labs power down overnight.
- All new carpet is made from post-consumer recycled content and old carpet is recycled during all replacement projects.
- Our campus involvement groups include Sustainable Blazer committees, the student Green Club, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society involvement, and Service Learning programs.
- In January 2014, NLC was certified a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation. Learn more about this designation.
Energy Conservation Efforts
- sustainable energy policy
- automated lighting controls for corridors, offices and parking lots
- ongoing energy audit of all campus building spaces to assess their energy efficiency
- energy-efficient VFD drives on all mechanical drives for air handling units and pumps
- recommissioned HVAC system in the Building C and A-300 area, using EAB deficiency report
- carefully maintained daily temperature points: 75° F (summer) and 70° F (winter)
- new tunnel utility piping insulation under Building F
- new mechanical system in Building H
- new HVAC operational practices and maintenance awareness training
Sustainable Construction Strategies
Three of our buildings have been awarded LEED certification:
- Science and Medical Professions Building: LEED NC Silver Certification
- Workforce Development Center: LEED CI Certification
- Student Life Center H Building: LEED CI Silver Certification
Several more buildings were built to LEED standards:
- North Campus: built to LEED construction principles, not seeking certification
- South Campus: built to LEED construction principles, not seeking certification
- Fine Arts and General Classroom Building: built to LEED construction principles, not seeking certification
Representatives from the U.S. Green Building Council, North Lake College, and the local community commemorate the LEED Silver Certification of the H building (Student Life Center).