Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content

Part-Time Enrollment

If you need to enroll in less than 12 credit hours during a term, you must obtain the International Center's approval.

Requesting a medical or academic enrollment change

Submit a letter to the International Center explaining your need to drop courses, from either a licensed medical professional or a North Lake instructor. Incomplete requests will not be processed.

We will contact you to tell you our final decision, or if we have additional questions. Approvals are only granted for one semester.

Special medical leave guidelines

If you do not produce required medical documentation of your illness, or if you withdraw before getting our permission, U.S. immigration officials may request further information regarding your medical condition. Homeland Security officials have asked North Lake students for evidence like this in the past:
  • Hospital admission and discharge forms
  • Diagnostic test results
  • Therapeutic treatment records
  • Appointment verification documents from physicians' offices describing the reason for the visit, the diagnosis, the actual treatment and prognosis
  • A statement from your physician regarding your current condition, prognosis and plans for future treatment

In addition to affecting your F1 status, failing a class due to medical illness or accident can lead to academic suspension.