English as a Second Language (ESL)
Improve your reading, writing, grammar, listening and speaking abilities in English.
English can be a key to success in your career and daily life. North Lake offers a variety of classes tailored to meet both your schedule and your educational goals.
Classes focus on the specific skills our students want to improve:
- Integrated Skills courses – these courses combine grammar, reading, listening and speaking in one interactive course. Class time is divided so that students can practice and assimilate material.
- Listening & Speaking courses – these courses focus on these two vital communication skills, giving students ample opportunity to converse, learn cultural norms and interact in class.
- Pronunciation courses – these courses target the difficult speech sounds and patterns of American English. They enhance students’ ability to be understood and to speak clearly and precisely.
- Workshops – these short courses are offered throughout the year and emphasize special topics such as vocabulary development, reading skills or computer skills.
- Take a free, short, written exam to determine placement in the program
- Register and pay before classes begin
- Purchase textbook and workbook (for most classes)
- Attend at least 70% of class time to receive a certificate
Two convenient locations:
- Central Campus, 5001 N. MacArthur Blvd., Las Colinas
- South Campus, 1081 W. Shady Grove Road, South Irving
How to join:
- For ESL at Central Campus, visit the International Center office in room A418.
- For ESL at our South Campus in southern Irving, go straight to the Admissions office at the campus you choose.
ESL courses provide instruction for beginners through intermediate:
- Qualified instructors, who are all native English speakers
- Classes vary in length from four to eight weeks
- Classes begin each month and are available mornings, evenings and on the weekends
- Certificate of completion will be awarded for each course
- Financial aid is available for those who qualify
Intensive English Program
For international students looking to study in the United States and learn college-level English language skills quickly, our Intensive English Program
will help with class placement and immigration services.