Career Services...Planning for Life
Need help planning your career or job placement assistance? North Lake’s Career Services Center provides FREE career planning and job search services to current students, students in the process of enrolling, alumni, and members of the community.
Here are some of the many ways we can help students, graduates, and community prepare for a lifetime of professional and meaningful work.
Career Guidance and Counseling
- Individualized career counseling for students and community members at no charge.
- Computerized guidance programs including Choices (contact Career Services for an access code).
- Career library with resources for college and scholarship information, occupational outlook with descriptions and salary information and job search strategy.
- The resource How To Become lists information on how to enter over 500 different career pathways. Learn what education you need, and what you'll earn as a member of each profession.
- Resume writing assistance: create a great resume!
- Resume critique service. Bring your resume to Career Services or email us.
- Computers for resume preparation with Microsoft Word are available for your use.
- When you complete your resume with a Career Services professional, you can get 10 copies of your resume on resume paper for free. Also, we now offer free Thank You notes for post-interview (one per interview). We can also help you to write a great thank you note.
- Mock interviews can help you prepare for the real thing. Watch yourself answer some common interview questions on videotape and get pointers on how to market yourself effectively.
- Books on various career topics like majors, resume writing, and interviewing are available to help you to be properly updated and informed in your career development.
- We have a list of interview questions many employers typically ask in interviews and also a list of questions to ask interviewers at the end of the interview. Yes, employers really want you to ask questions.
Help Finding a Job
- NLC Resume Bank and DCCCD Job Listing and Referral Services make your resume available to employers who call the Career Services Office or use the DCCCD system. We will send your resume to employers for you (if you choose this option).
- Hundreds of job listings are available for review through the NACE Online Job Bank, NLC job vacancy binders in our office, and Internet job sites (see some of our favorites below under additional job search links).
- Conduct your job research regarding job listings, salary information, and reviews of employers up-to-date internet databases (see list below).
- Telephone and fax machine are available for students to make local calls to employers and fax resumes.
- Some additional job search links: Neuvoo; Glassdoor; Career and Employment Resources