North Lake College QEP: iRead
What is iRead? What is a QEP?
iRead is North Lake’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). A QEP is a course of action for college improvement that addresses one or more issues contributing to quality enhancement of student learning. It is also part of our reaffirmation process. The reaffirmation process is what we do to keep our accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges (SACS). This is important!
Why Developmental Reading?
Last year, the college community voted to work on improving the success rates of students enrolled in Developmental Reading as our QEP. We selected this area because college data showed that a low percentage of students who entered North Lake enrolled in Developmental Reading went on to complete a degree or certificate. Research shows the faster students can complete developmental studies and enter college level classes, the better chance they have of reaching their goals and graduating with a certificate or degree.
Strategies we will be working on to help developmental reading students reach college level classes faster:
- Make changes to the curriculum
- Require reading tutoring and academic advising
- Professional development for faculty, tutors and advisors
Several opportunities are available for students to get involved with iRead!
- Tutoring – iRead Tutoring Lab is in Room A332, Academic Skills Center
- Service Learning – iRead SL opportunities will become available Spring 2013
- Participating in activities (see activities listed here on our website)
If you have questions about iRead, or have an idea that would help us reach our goal, email MaryAnn McGuirk
, director of the North Lake College QEP!