Spring 2020 classes have resumed online.
Please visit dcccd.edu/coronavirus for additional information and to learn how to prepare for online classes.

Intensive English Program

Learn English and get a head start on an American college education with North Lake College’s Intensive English Program (IEP). Our IEP prepares international students to achieve college-level English in a few short semesters.
  • Students with no prior knowledge of English can begin college-level course work in four semesters or less.
  • Students with limited English skills are tested and placed in the correct level.
  • Our fast-track system of classes helps students advance quickly through the program.
Students who complete our IEP are well-prepared to begin college-level course work. North Lake College offers two-year degrees in a large variety of fields.

Each semester of the Intensive English Program consists of a minimum of either 18 hours of in-class study per week, or 12 college credit hours.
North Lake College offers a SEVIS Form I-20 for international students who desire to study English full-time in the USA.
No TOEFL or other English proficiency score is required for students applying directly to our Intensive English Program.
Students are subject to USCIS regulations pertaining to F-1 visa holders. Strict adherence to all USCIS regulations is required. Please visit Study in the States for more information.

Why study English at North Lake College?
  • NLC hires excellent, well-qualified, native English-speaking instructors.
  • NLC provides advisers who can help you in several languages, including English, Spanish, Portuguese, Nepali, Hindu, Telugu, Vietnamese, French, Ethiopian and Arabic.
  • NLC provides a specialized International Center to assist you.
  • The English learning community maintains small class sizes and a fast-track system.
  • Our diverse population includes hundreds of international and multicultural students.
  • Public transportation to North Lake College includes a system of buses and trains.

What is the difference between IEP and ESL?
The Intensive English Program helps international students with visa information and places them in the classes they need based on their skill levels. These classes could include English as a Second Language (ESL) or English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).

Questions? Want to Apply?
Look at the information and forms in the box on the right. If you have any other questions, please contact the International Center.
Incomplete applications will delay, and may cancel, an application. You must ensure that all required documents are submitted with your application for admission.
Office Hours & Contacts