Spring 2020 classes have resumed online.
Please visit dcccd.edu/coronavirus for additional information and to learn how to prepare for online classes.

Visa F-1 Information

The F1 student visa is for students seeking to enter the United States on a temporary basis to study full-time at an accredited college or university, like North Lake College, that is authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

Applying for F1 status

After you are accepted to North Lake College, we will issue your I-20 form. The I-20 form is required for obtaining an F1 visa.
  • If you are overseas, you will be able to apply for the F1 visa once you have the I-20 from North Lake.
  • If you are in the United States on another visa type, you will need to apply for a change of visa status. We do not process change of status applications.
  • If you are an F-1 transferring from another U.S. college/university, have your records transferred to North Lake College from your current school. Then we will issue updated I-20 paperwork for transfer.
Once you receive F1 status it is your responsibility to maintain that status by following the rules and laws that relate to that visa status.
If you have any questions, contact an F1 international advisor at the North Lake College International Center.

Losing your F1 status could lead to arrest and deportation by U.S. immigration officials, and denial of other visa requests in the future.

The International Center sends out regular email reminders, so check your email regularly and update us if your email address changes.

Common visa status violations

  • working without authorization from the International Center/USCIS
  • dropping/withdrawing from classes without authorization from the International Center
  • failing to extend the I-20 if you do not graduate on time
  • poor academic performance, such as failing all classes in a semester or being placed on academic suspension
  • failing to report changes of address to the International Center within 10 days
  • failing to transfer to another school, depart the United States, apply for OPT training post-completion, or apply for another visa category within 60 days of completing studies at NLC
  • failing to report a change in employment status, if the student is on OPT
  • committing a crime that results in a conviction

The reinstatement process

The International Center processes a select few reinstatements.  Please discuss with an F-1 advisor for more information.